New features of Visual Studio 2017
When we are oriented towards more complex applications, especially if they are equipped with a graphical interface, it is advisable to use a visual development environment.
The main tool for creating applications based on the .NET Framework is Visual Studio . In its latest release 2017, this development environment significantly improves the usability and power characteristics that have always distinguished it.
The Visual Studio 2017 interface should be familiar to those who have already used a previous version. Some references can be found at the end of the page.
The procedure for creating a Windows application is similar to the previous version even though the New Project dialog box has been modified, as shown in the figure.
In this new version, Visual Studio 2017 can bring unprecedented productivity for all developments , applications and platforms. In short, Visual Studio 2017 can be used to develop applications for Android , iOS , Windows , the web and the cloud .
One can quickly code, debug and diagnose easily, test often and publish with confidence. We can also extend and customize Visual Studio by creating our own extensions.
Here is a general summary of the changes from the previous version, Visual Studio 2015:
- Redefining the fundamentals . A new installation experience means we can install what we want faster and when we need it. Whether we want to load large projects and solutions, or work on code folders, or even a single code file, Visual Studio starts faster. In addition, Visual Studio allows us to stay focused on the big picture, especially for teams that adopt DevOps.
- Performance and productivity . Developers focused on the new and modern features of mobile, desktop, and cloud application development. In addition, they have also improved the acquisition, performance, and productivity experiences of developers in general. Visual Studio starts faster, is more responsive, and uses less memory than before.
- Cloud application development with Azure . An integrated suite of Azure tools enables us to easily build applications that are primarily cloud-centric and optimized by Microsoft Azure. Visual Studio allows us to easily configure, generate, debug, package, and deploy applications and services to Azure.
- Mobile application development . In Visual Studio 2017, we can innovate and deliver fast results with Xamarin, which unifies your cross-platform mobile needs with a code base and a core set of skills. Promote the mobility of your existing teams, technology investments, and opt for the C # code to create consumer experiences in advance and for a lower budget. Accelerate every step of the mobile lifecycle to deliver world-class consumer experiences or a portfolio of productivity applications to encourage the mobility of our people.
- Multiplatform development . Deliver without effort software for all targeted platforms. Extend DevOps processes to SQL Server using Redgate Data Tools and securely automate database deployments from Visual Studio. Alternatively, use .NET Core to write applications and libraries that run without modification on Windows, Linux, and macOS operating systems. (Also new in version 15.3 : side-by-side support for .NET Core 2.0 SDKs.)
- Game development . With Visual Studio Tools for Unity (VSTU), we can use Visual Studio to write publisher and game scripts in C #, and then use its powerful debugger to find and fix errors. The latest version of VSTU includes syntax coloring for Unity’s ShaderLab language, improved debugger visualizations, and improved code generation for the MonoBehavior Wizard. VSTU also brings our Unity project files and console messages, and offers the ability to start our game in Visual Studio, in order to waste less time coming and going from the Unity editor being written.