From the standard installation on a hosting, through a fully automated installation via the modules provided by your hosts, until the installation of WordPress locally, you will find in this tutorial, simple solutions to install WordPress.
There are several ways to install WordPress, the most common ones are:
- Install WordPress Manually on its server
- Install WordPress Automatically via the hosting modules
- Install WordPress in Local with XAMPP or Instant WP
This article will detail one by one, these 3 installation procedures, you can click on the links from the list above to access the installation that interests you.
The facilities detailed here are only for WordPress self-hosted, you can check the difference by reading WordPress.org or WordPress.com
Install WordPress on Server
WordPress prides itself on being famous for its installation in 5 minutes! Beforehand, you must have a hosting with database and PHP, here are the required minima:
- PHP version greater than or equal to 4.3;
- MySQL version greater than or equal to 4.1.2;
- Apache with mod_rewrite module.
Go to wordpress.org and download the latest version of WordPress and unzip it to your hard drive, then create a database for WordPress on your server, so that MySQL has all the privileges in access and in the modification.
Upload via FTP ( Filezilla ) the WordPress files to the desired location on the server:
- If you want to place WordPress at the root of your domain (for example http://www.mysite.com/), move all the contents of the unpacked WordPress directory (excluding the directory itself) to the root of your server ( usually www or web)
- If you want to place your WordPress installation in a subdirectory of your website (for example: /mysite.com/blog/), rename the WordPress directory with the name you chose for the subdirectory and move to your server
From your web browser, launch the WordPress installation script:
- If you have installed WordPress on the root: /monsite.com/wp-admin/install.php
- in the case of a subdirectory called blog: /monsite.com/blog/wp-admin/install.php
The installation itself:
- The installation starts with the creation of the configuration file (wp_config.php). It is essential because it contains the various information that will allow PHP scripts to connect to the database to save and retrieve blog content (articles, pages, comments, etc.).
- A preliminary warning indicates the procedure to follow in case of problems related to permissions. It is precise to avoid this kind of unfortunate situation that one should be vigilant in this area. Indeed, sometimes the rights are not good. So you have to go through the ftp and modify the rights in 755 or 777 the time of the installation, then go back to 644.
- All information relating to the database is that provided by the host. The proposed table prefix wp_ is usually kept, it is advisable to change it (according to your convenience) for security reasons.
- Once this information is validated, WordPress confirms that it was able to create the configuration file and that the installation will be able to start.
An email containing the address of the blog is automatically sent to the address indicated in the installation form, it is then possible to connect to the administration area accessible by the URL http: //mysite.com/wp-login.php
Note: Installation done in 5 minutes Chrono! The safest way to install WordPress. Note that there is a free web service that allows you to create your custom installation.
Install WordPress in Local
For PreProd, to solve problems or simply create and test your site offline, installing WordPress locally can be very useful. Again, there are two ways to do this:
- With the help of XAMPP for Windows, there are also Mac and Linux versions.
- Or even simpler, with Instant WP , the quickest way to install WP locally.
Start by downloading the executable Method A: with the installer, this method is the easiest way to install XAMPP and install it by double-clicking the .exe file.
Once the installation is complete, you will find XAMPP under Start / Programs / XAMPP. With the XAMPP control panel, you can start/stop each server and install/uninstall the services.
The XAMPP control panel to stop/start Apache, MySQL, FileZilla and Mercury or install these servers as services.
To test : After starting Apache, visit http: // localhost or http://127.0.0.1 and review all XAMPP examples and tools.
Creating the WordPress database
Then click in the sidebar on phpMyAdmin and create your WordPress database.
Download WordPress, unzip the archive and copy the WordPress directory to the xampplite / htdocs directory. In the browser, enter the address http://127.0.0.1/namedevotrebase, then the name of the blog and the email address, finally click Install WordPress.
Instant WP to install WordPress locally
Instant WP is a complete and autonomous software, allowing to deploy in a few clicks and very simply a complete and functional WordPress environment.
It turns any Windows computer into a WordPress development server. It even goes so far as to launch from a simple USB key, without any internet connection, and with the possibility to install as many blogs as you want.
Start by downloading the software (about 56MB) to your hard drive, then install the program. Choose the installation directory of the program (it could be a removable disk, a USB key), then access the program by clicking on InstantWP.exe located in the installation directory previously indicated.
The current version is 4.2 and includes:
- WordPress 3.3.2
- Apache 2.2.15
- PHP 5.3.2
- MySQL 5.1.46
Note: InstantWP will try to start at startup with IE (not terrible) but we can still, via the local URL, use any other browser.
The InstantWP console opens, your local WordPress site is now installed!
Instant WordPress is provided by default with some articles/pages, comments, traditional themes, it will, however, proceed to update to run with the latest versions.
As part of this test, I upgraded to WordPress 3.5, installed my premium and my various extensions, all without any worries.
To navigate your interface, nothing more simple, use the central console (for the info, logs and passwords are written on each button).
Note: A simple, fast and effective solution to install WordPress in Local. With Instant WP, you could also use a USB key for your customers, to show them the site in PreProd, all without being connected to the internet!